Friday, August 27, 2021

Amy's flat tire/Carlos Pueblo

 Amy's flat tire/Carlos Pueblo

Amy ran over her car and got a nail on the left rear tire the other day. Dealing with the car issues is my specialty and I was interrupted with my routine nap. I got her wrecker's service card and talked to a computer robot. It asked me several basic questions such as what kind of service? What kind of the vehicle? Verifying my phone numbers and assigning me a mechanic near by my house. I changed my going outside cloths and ready to be out in a hot summer day. The mechanic came in one hour early as the the time scheduled.  He found the nail with a big bottom on the tire and ready to get it out. I started thinking what to do next after he changed the spare tire. Should I go to McDaniel to repair the flat? or Should I go to Costco to get a new tire? Michelin tire is on sale.

He explained to me that he could repair the flat right on the spot with $15 fee. I agreed to him and he started to work. What he does is that he purchases parts and equipment from Walmart. I appreciate his business idea and have my compliment to it. He took off the tire and got the screw nail out of it. He used a drill to make the hole about the same size of a hard robber rod which he was going to insert to the hole. He applied some glue to the new hole. I have seen this procedure for many times during my many years with vehicles. He cut off two robber rod ends extended out of the surface, cut them and smoothed them with a small sharp knife and burned them with a small gas lighter for cigarettes then more glue to seal it off. I went inside to get my $20 bill which I prepared for the  trip to Costa Rica. Once Amy heard about it, she said no change needed and I agreed to her.

He had saved me an entire afternoon and money as well. If I go to a garage to repair the tire, I don't think that I can get out of it with $20. If I go to replace that tire with that discount, I would pay more and may have to replace a pair of tires as the mechanic always claims that is better for the balance.

No comments: