Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Visiting Freiburg by train through the Black Forest/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Freiburg by train through the Black Forest/Carlos Pueblo

There are four scenic routes on the map of the German Rail Pass,
DB Bahn, 1. Dresden to the border of Czech Republic on the
valley of the River Elbe; 2. Stuttgart to Heidelberg on the Neckar
River valley; 3. Mainz to Cologne on Rhine River valley; and 4.
Offenburg to Singen and Singen to Freiburg through the Black
Forest of southern Germany. I have been all four of them during
this trip in Europe and more. I visited Singen and Freiburg briefly
at the final train ride.

Before the day break, I took an express train from Frankfurt to
Offenburg passing through two famous city and one small. Mannheim
is large and the concurrence of Rhine and Neckar, Rhine keeps on
north to meet Main at Mainz. Baden-Baden is a small town of hot
spring for beth which Obama has visited several times during his
tenure as US President.

Starting at Offenburg, the train goes southeastward to Singen, a
small industrial town of 20,000. It is already in the heart of Black
Forest and bordering with Switzerland, Zurich is not far away. There
is a pretty Lake Constance. The original Rhine and Danube are started
from here, Danube goes eastward while Rhine goes northward. I stopped
at the town for a 10 Euro grocery shopping with the US credit card. A
lady was curious and chatted with me.

I felt the trees, mostly pines, were slender from the window view which
might be in distance not as huge as I had viewed the Redwood in the
north California and the Aspen in Colorado. I couldn’t wait till arriving
Freiburg, a lovely city recommended by a German friend who I met in
Buenos Aires, Argentina in 2015. Freiburg means free town in English is
a college town as well. Albert Ludwig University is famous of the medical
center where I regretted  that I didn’t have a chance to visit. I walked along
the popular old town streets to the Historical Merchants’ Hall and a big
open market which was almost at the end of daily business and still visitors
gathering. It was very busy and lovely like all German cities.

I had passed twice to a 1871 Victory Monument which was for that year’s
victory to France and eventually united all Germany. I visited across Germany

and learnt a lot of modern German history.

No comments: