Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The car maintenance/Carlos Pueblo

 The car maintenance/Carlos Pueblo

My son Arthur's vehicle is required to have a maintenance due to the check engine light is on. I know that is a headache to me. I owe Arthur a new vehicle because that I promise him a new vehicle if he graduates from college. He did graduate from the University of Houston about 15 years ago. He works at a super market and is a risk to park a new vehicle at the parking lot of that super market; therefore, he always drive the second oldest vehicle at our small family vehicle fleet. Amy drives the newest edition 2018 Camry, Michelle the second 2013 Maxima, Arthur the third 2007 Camry, and I drive the oldest 1998 Q45. We try very hard to keep our vehicles going as long as possible in order to save money. Recently, I just fix a flat tire on my Q45 and this one check engine light would cost me $1,822 to have the engine tune up. It has taken a whole weekend for me to change my mind to fix it up.

We took the vehicle to the shop to be checked and was shock for the cost of maintenance. I drove it back home and plan my strategy. I always plan ahead of time. I would give Michelle Amy's car and take hers back home for Arthur. Move Amy's car to Austin for Michelle and buy a new vehicle for Amy on a condition that Michelle pays $10,000, Amy's another $10,000, and I contribute to the balance  for that new vehicle. I plan to trade in that trouble 2007 Camry. Michelle doesn't like to spend that $10,000 for the time being because she is going to build a new mansion in Austin and need a lot of money. She suggests to purchase  parts and hire a mobile mechanic to do the job and that may reduce the cost. I did Google the cost of parts and a mobile mechanic unit. I was struggle between to fix it or purchase a new vehicle by passing Amy's 2018 Camry directly to Arthur. I lost my night sleep during the weekend. 

Michelle mentioned to her Mom that if we let Arthur keep on driving the vehicle that might eventually ruin the vehicle; therefore, Amy insisted we fix the vehicle. I thought it overnight with a a left foot pain from the morning exercises. Finally, I got it. It would be cheaper for me to fixt it that purchase a new vehicle for the sole purpose of the transportation need to Arthur. The maintenance is done in a few hours. It is a replacement of spark plugs and ignition coils. Michelle texts me that indicate ignition coils are required replacement for a vehicle driven about 100,000 miles.

Amy told me her sister in San Jose, California always driving vehicles for a long time and she says a vehicle with good maintenance can last to 40 years longevity. See vehicles in Cuba and in Iran are all more than 40 years old.

No comments: