Wednesday, April 17, 2019

The disembark/Carlos Pueblo


The disembark/Carlos Pueblo

After 15 days cruise journey, the ship disembark at the Port of Los Angeles
San Pedro. Usually, it is a headache for me to hop on the public transportation
to make it to the airport and lucky me, Al Huang of my old classmate of the
college time in Taipei agrees to meet me at the port. I felt very humble when I
saw the great size of the ports and he told me that he had been through all
ports, like Long Beach and others for more than an hour. He liked to take me
to visit the museum of Queen Mary, a famous cross Atlantic cruise ship and I
suggested that we just leave the port and go to a Chinese Islam restaurant at
San Gabriel for a long missed chat. I haven’t seen him for 20 years. He is a
scholar with a Ph.D. degree in Chemistry from the Wayne State in Detroit,
Michigan, a well learned person.

We were across the Los Angeles freeways with a clear view of San Bernadino
Mountains on the east with a snow peak on a top of un-melted snow. The
Freeway, the weather, and the air are all perfect. California is really a land
of abundance. We enter the small city of San Gabriel and see plenty of Kanji
signs on the two main streets. It was still too early; therefore, we walked briefly
on both sides of the intersection. We visited a pretty Buddhist Temple, Boca
Dhama Seal Temple. I am very impressed the golden color architecture and the
surrounding luxury mansions with the same color and I wonder if those are the
dormitory of the monks.

We finished a whole pot of pickled sour Chinese cabbage soup with lamb meat
and a large size baked sesame bread, both are well known and popular in this
restaurant. The original owner is retired and the new owner is still following the
traditional doctrine of Islam in the kitchen. Al and I discussed some of our traveling
experience. He is a biker and with a very thorough and complete experience of long
distance biking in both Los Angeles and the western part of Taiwan. He even passed
through my home town Huwei on the central southwest of the Island.

After the lunch, he took me to visit a park with cherry blossom, Barnes Park of the
City of Monterey Park. Actually, the cherry blossom season is over yet the flowing
festival is yet to come. There are pink tube flowers on the trees surround the park
with third generation oriental youngsters playing softball on the field. I took many
photos on the area and the San Bernadino Mountains far away on the East. My
flight back to Houston was delayed for 4 hours due to the severe weather hindering
the incoming airplane from Chicago, Illinois. He texted me with a message that we
did have a very pleasant chat that day.



No comments: