Saturday, April 20, 2019

Language lessons on board/Carlos Pueblo


Language lessons on board/Carlos Pueblo

Another interesting schedule on days at sea is the language lessons
including Tagalog, Spanish, French, Serbian, Chinese, and Afrikan. The
instructors are staff of the cruise activity department effectively
providing the initial interest for many passengers. I have had some
experience of such lessons from my previous cruises; therefore, I am
able to respond Tagalog lesson while Spanish and French are my life
time ambition to learn. Chinese, Spanish, and French are three of the
major languages of hundreds of million while if connected to Slavic
Russian, Serbian can be huge as well. Otherwise, Serbian and Afrikan
are limit to the Balkan Peninsula and South African of less than 9 million
each. For that lessons, I went to review some classical English movies
of the Boer Wars and the Zulu Wars, etc. Afrikan is a 1600, a.d. Dutch, a
part of Western German language.

The class starts at 12:45 pm for 30 minutes and 1:15 pm for the second
class of another 30 minutes, some of them with hand out sheet. I gather
them with my language folders. I find that it is very interesting that some
of the cruise staff like or can speak Japanese. They all become my adopted
daughters. They either with prior working experience in Japan or intended
to work in that country later. The ship is huge like a typical U.S. size of
township with multi nationals speaking different languages. I am still working
on my Japanese and Spanish and the cruise is the ideal to take my learning
into practice.

Due to the difficulty of pronouncing my name in Kanji spelling, I first added
Charles as my middle name at the beginning while officially on naturalization
procedure yet the last name was pretty difficult as well. I explain it to a lady
clerk in Barcelona, Spain that Chuang is the village in English and she responds
it as pueblo in Spanish. Since then, I have used Carlos Pueblo as my unofficial
name and pretended to be a Filipino from Sibu, Philippines. Sibuya is another
major language in that country which I identify as my home town and I don’t
speak.

I always suspect that languages can lead the trace of human immigration. I
suspect that the Pacific Islanders have had the same origin of their ancestors
and yet I don’t think that I can prove it. It is too late for me and is not important
after all. I am just enjoying the language which I learn every day as much as I can.  


No comments: