Thursday, March 1, 2018

Observing Martini and Margarita tasting classes/Carlos Pueblo


Observing Martini and Margarita tasting classes/Carlos Pueblo

The Ship provides several mixed drink tasting at sea day afternoon at various bars
and the instructor, senior Walter Mendoza de Argentina, is my friend by my
Argentine  daughter Lourdes. He is the head bartender while she is a wine steward
at the Cagney’s both are from Buenos Aires where I have visited twice. He was very
kind to allow me to observe his talks and to watch the tasting. I am interested to
know what the mixed drink, Martini, and Margarita are and the reasons why are
so popular in the western civilization.

I am very green with cocktail drink and know nearly nothing about the mixed; therefore
, I don’t catch up very much with Walter’s lesson. After coming home and preparing to
write my sit in experience, I did google them to get some basic common sense for the
base of liquors and what have been mixed with. He gave every participant 6 Martini
glass of the drink and explained each one at a time and asked them to taste it and I could
see everyone got excited quickly. There are two kinds of liquor in the Martini, Gin and
Vermouth. The ratio of the drink used to be started with 4:1, then 10:1 and gradually
Increased to 100:1, it was up to personal taste I guessed. The very dry Martini means
very much of the Vermouth content. Gin is from Juniper berries or cones while Vermouth
is from grapes, herbs, and barks, Turin, Italy is the original place. He did mention that
James Bond’s 007 movies did make a unique Martini on its own fame. He said something
about the replacement of Whisky and Vodka to the drink, another excitement.

I had a real taste of Tequila on the street of Cozumel, Mexico that 5 C.C. shot brought me
to his Tequila tasting on Deck 12 Los Lobos Tequila Bar. When we watched the old western
movies in Mexico, we saw people drank shot by shot which was Tequila. In the modern days
, people drink Tequila with glass with salt and lime around the rim to have salty and sour
taste. Margarita is very popular in American drinking society and is derived from Tequila with
orange juice, lemon, syrup added. All mixed drink requires thoroughly shake, then pour to
glass with olive, lemon piece, or orange peel added. Tequila is made from a certain part of Mexico exclusively. It’s blue agave pina, pineapple, fermentation and distilled.

It was so interesting; so I followed him to the next Rum tasting on Deck 13 Sugarcane Mojito
Bar in Modemo Restaurant. It was cancelled due to none participant. I had had an opportunity
to ask him more of the drinking common sense such as straight shot and so on. When I got home, I did finish one left over Rum bottle in the pantry with a small shot glass and plan beef
stew which was excellent. I count my liquor shelf that I do have several sealed bottles, Cognac
, Fernet Stock Citrus, two Borovicka, Demanovka, Absolut Raspberri and I check google that
they are from Europe.



No comments: