Saturday, March 3, 2018

Re-visiting Western Caribbean Coast/Carlos Pueblo


Re-visiting Western Caribbean Coast/Carlos Pueblo

Early February after just 11 days from my last trip to the Eastern Caribbean
Islands, I went back to Cruise Ship Dawn for the re-visiting of the Western
Caribbean Coast including Harvest Caye of Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel
of Mexico, on the way the ship passed Orcho Rios of Jamaica and Grand
Cayman Island where I first visited just two months ago on Jade. I enjoyed
so much of the acquaintance of the Ship and some of them thought that I
never got off the Ship because that was so closed for two routes.

Ocho Rios is the same. I got off the ship and marched follow my previous
route the Turtle River Park visiting my beloved fruit trees, the bread tree,
mangos, and Jamaican Apple, etc. A young staff of the park promised me
twice to pick the bread fruit which was hanging on the branch of a tall tree.
I came back to the park after visiting an open vegetable and fruits market
and decided not to wait until 2 pm for the show. I did see the Jamaican
Apple on the street and market. It looks like Bell Fruit in Taiwan or Syzygium
in academic which is one of my favorite in my childhood time.

Harvest Caye is a private developed island by the same cruise company for
the destination. There are 75 acres with the most update tourist facility,
beautiful beaches, swimming pool, butterfly spring house, flight house,
parrot cage, and plenty of tropical trees including mango. There was a brief
rain and the weather was chilly.

Costa Maya is with a face lift on the pier, as a matter of fact, it becomes a
big visitors center with plenty of shops and cultural demonstration such as
Mayan costume and the rope flying persons on a tall pole, etc. I marched
out of the compound toward the downtown and saw some ancient ruins
far away. I did reach a certain residential area closed to the beach; however
, the weather was warm and I didn’t dare to stay too long.

Cozumel is the third time to visit and I can feel that the city become very
attractive, the shops on the coastal line avenue, the city square park and
the additional inside stores and residential area. I got 4 small plastic cups
shots of Tequila in two liquor stores for free tasting, each cup was about
3 ml. yet were still very impressive; therefore, I went back to observe two
cocktail seminars on the ship. I also got a help form a local young man  to
locate a malva nut tree, sterculia in academic, and found the mature fruits
. This is a herb medicine drink to sooth the throat that I attempted to impress
my beloved daughter, Shirley the newly promoted Cruise Director. It seemed
that she lost her voice. I learned from a Chinese scholar working in Dallas while
I took them to walk on Cozumel streets on my 2nd trip to the city. He pointed it
out the name of the fruits on the trees and I instantly remembered the day I was
a new teacher at the high school. The school prepared the tea from this fruits to
help new teachers to recover their lost voice due to continuous talking in the class.
Local calls it Jojieara which only the native Mayan consume them.
  



No comments: