Sunday, March 5, 2017

What is the requested minimum distribution?/Carlos Pueblo

What is the requested minimum distribution?/Carlos Pueblo
Two of my friends, as a matter of fact, a client and my brother Yancy,
mentioned to me the requested minimum distribution, RMD, during
the past few years. I thought that was still too early for me to consider
it; however, after I filed my income tax for this year and I knew that
would be right on the corner in my case, one year later. What is the
requested minimum distribution? It is the money which we have saved
throughout those year for tax shelter which the federal government like
to tax them. Like the depreciation of dwelling property, the government
like you to recapture all of it when you sell the property.

If you are familiar with the property depreciation, you will understand
how to figure out how much to take out the RMD every year and you have
better taking out more than the RMD in order to avoid the 50% penalty for
the insufficiency amount withdraw. It’s a straight line method. IRS assume
that you will live up to 98; therefore, RMD for the first year at 70 ½ years
old, you are required to take out amount which is the total value of your
pension, other than Roth account, divided by 27.5, second year is divided by
26.5 and so on every year.

Both of them found out the amount and paid the tax burden accordingly. I
like to have my own tax planning now; therefore, I move d some fund to Roth
last year and plan to do the same this year and next year before the RMD
deadline by paying more federal income tax for the last two calendar years
instead of paying for the higher tax of RMD. I assume that my income will
be higher and the federal tax rate will be higher as long as the government
keep on expanding.

I might be miscalculating the income average for my younger time that at
the senior age; however, the saving was real and the future tax could be
planned to save to the most. That is why I have been very sure to advise
pension planning to contribute to the maximum to both of my children to

build personal asset at younger age. It is still my conclusion.

No comments: