Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Diligent workers on board/Carlos Pueblo

Diligent workers on board/Carlos Pueblo

When I take the cruise trip, I always feel as an important person, I have
been treating even better than at home. It is because the diligent workers
on board. The ship has about 1,500 employees on board and carried about
2,000 passengers like a good size of the U.S. town. Everything is very
organized and everything is very clean. Almost all of them are foreign workers
because the employers can bypass the U.S. minimum wage requirement;
however, this will never deter their motivation and attitude towards work.
Most of them whom I run into are waiters, housekeeping, chefs etc. They
Are from Philippine, Indonesia, Peru, India, and some eastern European nations.
I remember a washy washy girl from Jewel. She would stay in front of the Garden
Café and greeted you washy washy happy happy in order to remind you the sanitary
necessity. Last year I missed her at the Western Caribbean and several workers
told me that she was retired and back to Indonesia. I thought that I lost something
good in memory. Even on this trip after I mentioning her, one old Jewel customer
remembers her and knows her retirement.

I get up very early and climb up to deck 12 to watch the sun rises. Male workers
Have already up and running, prepare the beach chairs around the pools, mob
the floors outside and inside the café, they are busy to prepare for the breakfast.
On the rear, the morning coffee is ready.  Maintenance workers keep the ship in
top shape like a discipline navy vessel. Waiters are very polite and quick to response
upon the customer’s needs. You start from the bottom, like folding utensil, assistant
waiter, waiter, front desk, etc. A manager position takes more than 10 years. a
contract lasts about 9-10 months, then requires a new contract to continue. Other
cruise experience is generally ignored.

This trip, I got no limit to express my admiration towards these group of youngsters.
Some time I would surprise the Spanish native speakers in my broken Spanish. I wish
I could work harder in that language. I have acquainted many workers in this trip.



No comments: