Thursday, June 1, 2023

Returning visit to St. John, New Brunswick, Canada 2022/Carlos Pueblo

 Returning visit to St. John, New Brunswick, Canada 2022/Carlos Pueblo

St. John is a port that cruise ships make often stop on their routes in northeast America or the transatlantic on the north Atlantic Ocean. I am quite familiar to the scenery of the port and also feel related to it. I always remember a story told by my former professor about one of his student came to this city to have a graduate study and kept the correspondence wihh him. I do see a downtown campus of the University of New Brunswick yet I feel that may not be the main campus.

I was accompanied with my new found neighbor friend and her group to march on the downtown for several blocks, then I took it back to the ship for lunch. I prepared to have an excursion in the afternoon for a small bus ride to the city. A guide described the history of the city , its industry, and its significant. There is a rich family who owns a city paper mill as long a petroleum refinery, the only one in this area of three provinces. We did pass through several residential area including a mansion of this family. The trip ended at a paper mill by the bank of a river to the sea front.

It is very cold in this area during the winter. The ancestors of this area were from the former U.S. continent. they were the royalists who lost their lands due to the the revolution. The King gave them back their lands which were lost and protected them from the briefly aggression of the newly established U.S. Of course, the King got the new land from defeated France. It's a very interesting story of Canadian history.

It's very lovely town and I shall have my second opportunity to visit this town on my second back of this cruise.

No comments: