Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Visiting Mainz, Germany

Visiting Mainz, Germany/Carlos Pueblo

On my arrival in Frankfurt Am Main, I did walk to the south bank of
the River Main for a quick visit of a flea market, an old resale open
air market, then I took a train toward west along the river to the
other end to visit Mainz where I missed on my last visit to Wiesbaden.
I have to check the map to understand what it means on the internet
Description, Manz is on the west bank of Rhine while Wiesbaden is
north of Rhine below the confluence of Main. Two cities are across the
waterway to each other. I have read so much about Mainz ever since
I visited Wiesbaden and written about the city in April, 2016. I read again
this time when I prepare my work and I realize that there is so little which
I have seen for an afternoon visit.

I have attempted to walk toward Rhine along the side walk of Main and I
reached to Offenback Am Main, means Offenback on River Main. German
tell me that is not possible to walk to the confluence of Main to Rhine and
need to take a river cruise excursion, further I was on the wrong direction.
Offenback is a lovely German city yet it is on the upstream and east while
Rhine direction is on the west. In addition to that mistake, I also mistaken
the old home gardens were the same as Main toward Offenback which I
passed by. These unique scenery are all over Germany can be view from
train ride.

Mainz is an old historical city of more than 2000 years , it is because of the two rivers
and the plain for the agriculture. I followed the street sign toward the river bank. The
Rhine is very busy with river traffic and Mainz is a major hub of the river cruises ports.
German city decorates its city with flower gardens almost everywhere and I am very
Impressed even in the fall still with roses and varies kinds of blooming. I am not sorry
for my short visit on foot as a matter of fact that is good for my health at my age. Mainz
has all kinds of European glory, castles and churches, classical and new architecture.

Frankfurt area is one of the populated region in Germany. I see one train station between
Frankfurt and Mainz nearby Frankfurt Airport is the head quarter of Opel, a German brand
owned by General Motors for decades. Opel is still quite popular while GM ceased marketing
this vehicle in the U.S. for quite some time. I wonder what if the U.S. government let GM went
bankruptcy in 2008 and the consequence of Opel. Mainz is also very famous for the printing
machinery can be called as the headquarter of world printing, of course, I also learn that

nearby Heidelberg has a world famous newspaper printing shop.

No comments: