Monday, November 21, 2016

Butterfly lecture/Carlos Pueblo

Butterfly lecture/Carlos Pueblo

I went to a butterfly lecture at our community center presented
By Dr. Nancy Grieg, the director of butterfly section of Houston
Natural Museum. Grieg has had a big audience varies from elementary
school to senior citizen with  different kinds of interest in butterfly.
Before attending the lecture, I pulled out two articles which I wrote in
1999, my only visit on her butterfly room at the museum. I describes
my old memory of catching butterfly in my old mountain home town
of Puli at the central mountains area of Taiwan and my fascination of
butterfly after the pupa or chrysalis breaking out of the cocoon and flying
out of the world. She did not have time enough to touch this part of
philosophy yet I did remind her current description of human behavior
which appears on my second article. People like me become very shy
in the aging stage living in a lonely environment called cocooning in
inset world which she hears about it and is not adequate to talk about it
in front of the youngster audience full of energy in front of their life.

There are two citrus on our back yard, one California lemon and one
tangerine, with blossom in the spring. I am always waiting for a kind
of butterfly to drop by we call it the pomelo moth, either male or female.
Taiwanese kids name the butterfly based on its color and where it appears.
This pomelo moth appears on the pomelo blossom in front of our front
yard every year. This has been almost 60 years since I moved away from
that township and been back several times without having back that old
sweet memory. I think and the good doctor agrees that the pomelo moth
is swallow tail butterfly, black base with two tails or I call it the two ear
rings.

Butterfly has its life span, egg, caterpillar, pupa, cocoon, butterfly and
repeat it. Chinese Daoist Chuang Tsu did mention that he dreamed of
butterfly yet his dream was not very much to pass on due to the first
Emperor’s burning of all books before the unification of China. It’s
under Daoism yet we don’t know what it is very much. After him, there
has been none of Chinese philosophers ever think of such philosophy
any longer.



No comments: