Friday, November 25, 2016

Visiting the University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany/ Carlos Pueblo

Visiting the University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany/ Carlos Pueblo

After arriving to Cologne, releasing my luggage at the inn and I turned
right back to the rail road station took a train right back to Bonn to
visit the University of Bonn, an institute brought back a good memory
of my adolescent dream, my elder cousin from my mother’s side went
to have his fellowship at Bonn’s Medical School in the mid-60’s and he
was always as a role model for us in our life, a graduate of Taiwan
University Medical School and a successful gynecologist-obstetrician.

I was very happy to see the famous main building of the University, the
yellow color architecture. It’s all started here in 1819 when King Frederick
William III donated the land and facility to set up the school. The University
Hospital and the school of medicine must be taught here as a German
couple responded to my question, then it was moved to the city center of
the west side, then to Vensuberg of the west of Bonn. The couple told me
that I would have to take a bus to reach there.

My mother always has been very proud of this eldest nephew. She always
had mentioned her relation with him after his mother died of delivery
difficulty for a second child. He had come to visit us in the central part of
Taiwan for summer break from Taipei. His successful schooling has been an
envy of our family. My brother Yancy even attempted to retake the college
entrance examination at the summer of his sophomore year at the engineering
school to get the admission to the famous medical school. Since then, there are
three of our family young generation becoming physicians at the encouragement
of their fathers after the influence of their elder uncle.

Bonn is a lovely city of Germany, used to be the capital of West Germany, thanks
to a distinguished alumnus Konard Adenauer, the premier after the War. It is very
relaxing at the campus especially in front of the yellowing building, it’s told that
the building was heavy damaged during the War and was rebuilt. I was in a hurry
to make the trip and I did tour the old city center and saw the monument of
Beethoven, a famous hometown composer.


No comments: