Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Visiting the University of Sydney Campus, Australia/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting the University of Sydney Campus, Australia/Carlos Pueblo

After a 17 hours long haul air flight from Dallas, Texas to Sydney, Australia, I carried two camera bags and hauled two luggage and marched to the airport train station to take a train to its down town main station and found a bus stop to visit the University of Sydney Campus. I always like to visit the University to fulfill a life time wish to see the late Professor Hou Jia-ju's Alma Mater. He was my 8th grade Chinese Language Art teacher at my home town on the southern rural town of Huwei for a semester while he was waiting for his Australian Government Scholarship to have his graduate study at the University. I visited his wife who was also my elementary teacher after he left for Sydney to get his address in Australia. He was very nice to write back to my letters and introduce the country. He is my inspiration role model at my young age to study abroad. I still remember my two visits to his home in his teaching University of Suchow in suburban Taipei in 1968 and his dean office of that institution at downtown Taipei by the Presidential Palace.

The University itself is astonishing in size and architecture full of the appearance of the British Empire Greatness. Of course, I couldn't walk too far with heavy luggage and I at least made to the newer building of the Economic Department after a distinguished US Study School, and some significant buildings. I was not sure that Economic Building was the one of his research; however, I was there and done it. After his returning to Taiwan, he became famous both in academic and consulted with several national government projects. I wrote a piece on my blog several years ago to remember him and his wife as a memory and got some interests from his former students who knew him.

I went back to the main station and hop on another bus to the circular quay terminal to board on the Jewel. I was very fatigue and even took a nap while waiting to get on the ship. The world famous Sydney Opera House is right by the ship. I could have a good view to see the building and traffic of visitors.

No comments: