Thursday, June 20, 2019

Coming back from Alaska fjords 2019/Carlos Pueblo


Coming back from Alaska fjords 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Early Tuesday morning, I came back from a two weeks cruise from Alaska
with joy and happiness. It’s my 5th time of this route along the inner Alaska
Coastal line from Vancouver, Canada to Seward, Alaska and back and repeated
visits of several ports such Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Seward, and the Icy
Straight Point. The Jewel sails through Glacial Bay National Park with several
ancient glaciers on view.

It’s a back to back program that makes the two weeks very compact in time.
It reminds me some of my fond memory of my childhood time in the central
mountain area of Taiwan. In a small township where my father worked at a
small sugar factory during the summer time, a Chinese refugee artist came to
stay at the factory’s visitors’ house to paint the Snow Mountain not far away.
I have adored such talent in my life time even though I am not good at it and
now like him to stay away from the summer heat of somewhere, I took many
photos on two cameras on my way through the most beautiful scenery of
Alaska fjords with snow cap mountains and glaciers in the summer.

I’ll write about my routine while passing by those familiar ports of Alaska, I
hike upstream on Ketchikan Creek to the fish hatchery and the small park
where the colorful Rhododendrons blooming. I took city bus to visit the
Mandenhall Glacier at Juneau and the Last Chance Gold Mine museum
outside the city, etc. At Skagway, I hike on both Lower and Upper Dewey
Lake. I counted bald eagles between the port and town center of the Icy
Straight Point. I watched King salmon dishing at Seward water front beach.
It has been very enjoyable trip with nice weather.

The Jewel is my first 4 cruises ship which has covered New England/Canada
from NYC, Alaska from Seattle, two Western Caribbean from New Orleans
and Houston while I still have had a very fond memory. I chatted with an
old timer about the Star Piano Bar on Deck 13 before today’s Moderno’s
Restaurant, she knows what I am talking about and she even describes the
old Swedish Captain’s retirement and where about. I have four dinners with
my adopted daughters on board transferred from the Dawn and had good
time. I also ran into several frequent cruise passengers whom I met on the
other ships.

     
   

No comments: