Saturday, June 22, 2024

New circle of friends/Carlos Pueblo

 New circle of friends/Carlos Pueblo

Recently, I have ended my living in isolation and acting myself off from society. It has been a long time since I lost my main job in 2001 when both of my children were ready to enter college. I was busy finding alternative work to make up some of my lost income yet it was very hard. I have kept it all to myself. I didn't ask for any help because I was very frugal and I did save some money. I felt sorry for myself and stayed home and counted on my retirement income. I continue to play my tennis as my morning exercises and I have had my first circle of friends.

After both of my children graduated from college and started to work, I didn't have any burden to bear and I started to travel around the world. It was still very lonely to travel by myself and I didn't make any friends at all. Eventually, I end up taking cruises as much as I can; therefore, I get to know many pretty girls who are working on the ship of one particular cruise liner. They are aware of my present when I board on their ship and we are friends other than regular passengers. This circle of friends is much larger and more interesting than the first group.

Another group of friends on the ship are fellow passengers. We get together on the ship for meals and other entertainment. We also pass on information about a good deal of any kind to satisfy us. It is another form or broader than the first group on the tennis court.

I left Taiwan in 1975 and I did go back to visit some times. I still have some friends from my childhood. All of them are retired now. I selected three of them to visit in order to get some of my good memories of my past. One of them is my kid brother, the second one is my elementary classmate who was a retired bank manager, the third one is a construction company owner. I can catch almost all my fond memories in Taiwan.

I make friends with those innkeepers where I have stayed in Taipei. They are young and hard working like those young daughters and granddaughter on cruises. I am not quite sure if we shall meet again yet we are friends indeed. I also have re-established friendships with my dentist's family. Dr. Chen's father is my uncle, my mother's elder brother and he is my cousin. He arranges for me to meet his sisters in Taipei.

The most exciting thing is my new large circle of friends with my Alma Mater Taiwan Normal. In a very short time, I got to know very well with the faculty members from the President, Vice Presidents, Deans, Department heads, and alumni from North America by attending the first annual Summit of North America Alumni Associations.

No comments: