Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Attending Taiwan Normal University Alumni Summit 2024/Carlos Pueblo

 Attending Taiwan Normal University Alumni Summit 2024/Carlos Pueblo

The summit was held between 6/14/24 to 6/16/24 at the Courtyard Hotel by Marriott at Monterey Park, Los Angeles, U.S.A after a delay of four years due to the outbreak of Wuhan Coronavirus in 2020. I arranged myself to attend such a wonderful summit on my way back home from my new denture installation in Taipei. Taiwan Normal is my Alma Mater originally for middle school teachers in Taiwan and now for a much more general purpose university in Taiwan with more than 10 colleges with 15,000 enrollment and 18 thousand alumni throughout the 102 years school history.

The summit consisted of four major parts, the introduction of Taiwan Normal and the current day higher education in Taiwan presented by the University President Dr. Cheng Chi Wu, 1980 Industrial Education, Ph.D. University of Texas-Austin; the University fundraising Foundation North America keynoted by Chairman of the Board Chin Chang Lin, 1974 Physics; World Cafe Round Table Discussion Of four subjects, How alumni can help the University to progress in the future; the Alumni Association's management and operation; the platform of each Alumni Association and the volunteer; the future Global Alumni meeting.

Attendants of this summit are in the variety of age span of graduates from 1956 to 2002. I thought that I was old, a 1971 graduate actually I am not. It's very nice to meet so many friends with similar backgrounds at the time. Most of us were from a very humble background and worked hard to achieve today's establishment which I credit to the University.

Before the end of our Summit, I suddenly has an idea of promoting the spirit of Taiwan Normal. I thought of the unique fighting song of UT-Austin, Eyes of Texas. Of course, Taiwan is not like the USA with an annual football season with a huge audience yet it wouldn't hurt to have someone either with such composing talent to compose a fighting song for our University. Of course, it's easy to dream that there is only Texas with Eyes of Texas and the Yellow Roses of Texas.

No comments: