Friday, December 1, 2023

The cost of a house remodeling/Carlos Pueblo

 The cost of a house remodeling/Carlos Pueblo

Owning a house to live is a life time achievement, yet we almost forget the cost of maintaining the house. I am leaving for my next cruise tomorrow; however, I need to face an additional cost to fix our house foundation issue to replace the waste sewer lines in addition to the 42 piers to support the shift foundation. The cost of both reach $40,000. I am aware that there are more to come such as the interior painting after fixing the crack on walls, replace the hardwood floor, replace the lawn front and back yard, and furthermore, replace a new roof, etc.

We have moved to this house of 1982 in 2012 and now all issues are appearing. I thought that after we paid cash for our purchase, the only expanse would be just the local taxes and the homeowner association fee. These kinds of maintenance won't happen, yet it is true. The earth underneath is shifting and the plastic pipes, the Polyvinyl chloride PVC, are corroded. The waste sewer are leaking that the mechanic can't fill up the tube to check on the leak. He recommends to replace the whole lines. The PVC is almost 43 years old. I can't do anything but agree. They will come in to dig the underground replace all PVC tubes and fill up muds to spaces. Piers work will be done in one day and sewer lines will take 4 days.

I don't think that I can go to cruise trips that often as this year. Lucky me, the cost of cruise trip is more to meet the inflation pressure. I don't think that I can go to visit abroad like before. I must be frugal again to meet these additional costs.

No comments: